Archive for the ‘society’ Category
One day a farmer’s horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, neighbors came to visit. “Bad luck,” they sympathized.
“We’ll see,” he replied. Next morning the horse returned, bringing three other wild horses. “How wonderful,” neighbors exclaimed.
“We’ll see.” Following day, his son rode one of untamed horses, was thrown and broke his leg. Neighbors again came to offer their sympathy.
“We’ll see.” Next day, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing the son’s leg was broken, they passed him by. Neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things turned out.
Men are as forgetful and heedless in their waking moments of what is going on around them as they are during their sleep. Fools, although they hear, are like deaf; to them the adage applies that whenever they are present they are absent. One should not act or speak as if he were asleep. The waking have one world in common; sleepers have each a private world of his own. Whatever we see when awake is death, when asleep, dreams.
Muzak is functional music, around since 75 years. It affects those who hear it but doesn’t require a conscious listening effort. The key to Muzak’s effectiveness is “stimulus progression,” which offers a psychological “lift” to its listeners – a subconscious sense of progress/results achieved via fifteen-minute block soundbites.
Research on physiological/psychological effects of Muzak have shown that it increases the work rate metabolism, increasing or reducing muscular energy, fatigue and attention.
The Muzak corporation deliberately use popular music – pop, jazz and classical – in order to produce the impression of familiarity, which is underlines friendliness.
- no biological aging during childhood years, characterized by using calcium, iron and copper in making new bones, red blood-cells and collagen;
- accumulation of minerals once childhood growth ceases and progressive aging as evidenced by buildup of lipofuscin;
- slight decline in the rate of aging in late life, which has been correlated with reaching a steady state of minerals.
List of Wikileaks exposures.
- Day 1: military in every embassy
- Day 2: two criminal presidents
- Day 3: three illegal wars
- Day 4: four covered–up crimes
- Day 5: five plutocracies (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
- Day 6: six sycophants (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
- Day 7: seven suicide attacks
- Day 8: eight enemy combatants
- Day 9: nine NATO divisions
- Day 10: 10 years of pollution
- Day 11: more profits for credit card companies
- Day 12: drug company immunity
- Day 13: 13 theocratic thugs
- Day 14: yet another war
- Day 15: 15 happy followers
- Day 16: 16 sadistic sanctions
- Day 17: 17 infuriating peace makers
- Day 18: 18 months of ignorance
- Day 19: Bollywood-Pentagon partnerships
- Day 20: corporate muscle for diplomacy
- Day 21: black market nukes
- Day 22: congressional prostitution
- Day 23: 23 convicted kidnappers
- Day 24: 24 million McDollars
- Day 25: killing the messenger
Wakefulness is the way to life. The fool sleeps as if he were already dead, but the master is awake and he lives forever. He watches. He is clear. How happy he is! For he sees that wakefulness is life. How happy he is, following the path of the awakened. With great perseverance he meditates, seeking freedom and happiness. – from the Dhammapada of Gautama Siddhartha (Buddha)
- You’re pro-active, resourceful, passionate and participate, in your own way, in shaping the world within and without you.
- You’re reactive, curious and have a stable-ish job – content to watch the world go by and be fascinated.
- You’re very much into your bubble, with little care/curiosity about anything else except your job/friends/family – don’t have a clear idea about what/why/how of the world.
Do you even know how to listen to the world?